Saturday, May 9, 2009

Foraging

With my move into my apartment (though not the unpacking) completed, I'm now beginning my first summer away from family. Since the school cafeteria is no longer open, and I have nobody here to prepare/give food for/to me, I came upon a somewhat startling realization. If I don't go buy food (and not just meal by meal fast food, but real food, to eat here) I will starve to death. These were the heavy stakes I had in mind as I went grocery shopping, for the first time ever buy (get it? "buy!") myself, today. The results of the shopping extravaganza at a local (but very large) grocer are detailed below.

Ssps Strawberry Banana Nectars drink, $1.89- I swear, this is like drinking an fruit smoothie. It's so, so, so good. Perhaps a new favorite of mine.
16oz of Strawberries, $2.69- I seriously haven't had fruit in a really, really long time. An old favorite makes an appearance, and it won't be the first time on this shopping list (technically, it's already the second).
Gatorade Fruit Punch, $2.99- for a whole really big bottle too. I was actually surprised how cheap all of this was.
Baker's Dipping Milk Chocolate, $2.69- Personal treat for myself. I now have microwavable chocolate in a small container to dip my strawberries in. Success!
Kellogg's Frosted Cherry Poptarts, $2.89- For in the morning when I don't have time to pick up a bagel. Again, cherry.
Freeds Mini Golden Cupcakes (a dozen), $3.19- Personal treat for myself. Will probably be gone by Tuesday. Little mini cupcakes!
Best Beef Regular Franks (ten?), $4.89- I now have hotdogs. Hot dog!
Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages (four), $5.29- Splurged a little bit on these. They're chicken sausages, which I've never had before, but looked pretty appealing. I passed up turkey sausages, beef sausages, mixed sausages, and probably some other types of sausage to pick these. Hopefully they'll live up to the hype.
Soft White Bread, $3.99- It's soft, white, and bread. Exactly what I was looking for.
Dozen rainbow rolls (sushi), $9.95- The most expensive thing on this list, and dinner tonight. This will be my first out-of-springfield Sushi eating experience. Can't say I'm not stoked.
Squeezable Concord Grape Jam, $2.49- It's jelly, for the bread. Don't even need a knife to spread.
Banquet Popcorn Chicken Meal (12 oz), $3.59- One of those frozen but microwavable dinner things. Popcorn chicken is always a pretty decent option, and one night when I'm exhausted I'll just eat this.
Pure Argentine Honey, $6.49- This was some freaking expensive honey. I don't even know what I'm going to do with it, really (honey and peanut butter sandwiches?). But hey, I've got a jar of top of the line honey. You only live once, right?
Better'n Peanut Butter (it's peanut butter, basically), $5.99- So remember that peanut butter and honey sandwich I was talking about earlier? The bread's going to be the cheapest part by over $2.00.
Hot Dog Buns (8), $2.89- Your standard hot dog buns. You'll note that hot dogs come in packs of... well we've all heard that one before.

Total cost, with tax: $62.51

Recap: Not a bad experience. Store's freaking huge, and not a big box retailer (which is why I bought the freaking expensive honey/peanut butter. I couldn't find a cheaper version). Definitely going to go for the push cart rather than held basket next time. There's more random "what the heck is that" stuff there than I could possibly ever enjoy. This is going to be a fun summer, grocery store shopping wise. They even play pop songs as you're walking around, and I saw about 18 different free sample stations. How cool is that?

Now off to pick up dry cleaning.

3 comments:

S said...

you're a grown up now!

Mozart said...

Sounds like me--"Oooooh, what's this? Looks cool/interesting/different/delicous!" *grab*

Anonymous said...

You can also use honey in your tea. So far, that's all I do with it, too. Peanut butter sandwiches and tea.